MEMORANDUM OF INSTRUCTION (MOI)
SUBJECT: Women’s Military Chaplain Training, May 29-31, 2018, Bon Secours Retreat and Conference Center, Marriottsville, Maryland
1. Purpose: This MOI provides objectives, information and the draft agenda for the Women’s Military Chaplain Training.
2. General: The theme for the Women’s Military Chaplain Training is Connect, Cultivate and Contextualize. Women serving as military chaplains in all components and all services are invited to attend. Chaplain candidates are not invited to attend this event.
3. Objectives: The objectives of the training are to increase networking skills, resilience and pastoral identity while decreasing isolation. Chaplain (Major General-Retired) Lorraine Potter, first woman Chief of Chaplains for the Air Force, will be our keynote speaker. She will address how to cultivate a network while increasing resilience. She will share some of her story as the first female Chief of Chaplains of the Air Force and provide mentorship and modeling to our women chaplains.
4. Registration: Registration is currently open and closes April 16th. Register at: https://womenmilitarychaplain.eventbrite.com. Registration costs are $150 per individual; registration covers all meals and lodging. Due to fundraising and donations, lodging and meal costs are subsidized.
5. Location and Lodging: The training is held at the Bon Secours Retreat and Conference Center, 1525 Marriottsville Road, Marriottsville, MD 21104, rccbonsecours.com/410.442.3120. Each room is a single room with a private bath providing toiletries and towels. The closest airport, the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), 7035 Elm Road, Baltimore, MD 21240, is 22 miles away. Recommend utilizing Uber or a taxi from the airport to the resort center.
6. Meals: The dining facility will provide all meals with two hospitality rooms providing fresh fruit and beverages 24 hours a day. If you have dietary needs, please fill out the appropriate form available at on-line registration and/or contact Rev. Kristy Moeller at the email below.
7. Timeframe of Training: The event starts with registration from 1300-1700, Tuesday, May 29th ending Thursday, May 31st at 1300. (See attached agenda.)
8. Cost: The cost to participate in this training is travel, per diem and registration. The Military Chaplain’s Association (MCA) has funds to assist with the cost of travel. Please contact CH (COL-Ret) Kristy Moeller, after you register, if you need financial assistance for travel. Donations from organizations, denominations and individual donors have also helped to off-set the costs of lodging and meals. The National Conference on Ministry to the Armed Forces (NCMAF) and the Military Chaplain’s Association (MCA) are the sponsoring organizations of this event.
9. Uniform: The uniform is civilian clothes.
10. POC for this training event is CH (COL-Ret) Kristy Moeller,
TUESDAY, MAY 29
1:00-5:00 pm Check-in and Registration (Main Lobby)
5:00-6:00 pm Evening Reception: Time of Connection
Welcome: Rev. Sarah Lammert, NCAMF Chair
Rev. Jack Lea, NCMAF Exec Dir
6:00-6:45 pm Dinner (Dining Hall)
7:00-8:00 pm Networking: Sharing Hopes and Expectations
8:15-9:00 pm Evening Worship: Sponsored by Rev. Aimee Davis,
WEDNESDAY, MAY 30
8:00 - 9:00 AM Breakfast
9:15 - 9:45 AM Opening Devotions, CH (COL) Karen Meeker
10:00 – 11:30 AM Keynote 1: “Connect and Cultivate”
CH (MG-Ret) Lorraine K. Potter
USAF, Chief of Chaplains, Retired
12:00 - 1:00 PM Lunch
1:00 – 1:45 PM Small Group Discussions of Keynote
2:00 – 3:00 PM Senior Leaders Panel: Sharing Best Practices
3:30 – 4:45 PM Breakouts by Service for Personnel Briefs and Q&A
5:00 - 5:45 PM Summary Session
6:00 - 7:00 PM Dinner and Networking
7:15 – 9:15 PM Screening of Movie and Theological Reflection
THURSDAY, MAY 31
8:00 – 9:00 AM Breakfast
9:15- 9:45 AM Devotions (Navy Chaplain TBD)
10:00 – 11:30 AM Keynote 2:
“Contextualizing Women in Leadership”
CH (Col-Ret) Horton
11:30 – 12:00 PM Closing Ritual
12:00 PM Lunch and Departure